LIVING IN KENT OHIO
Moving to Kent Ohio Tips - 2021
Published February 2021
Are you considering moving to Kent Ohio? Well look no further because this article is going to lay everything out for you. Kent is near and dear to my heart because it is where I was born and raised. I grew up riding my bike around every square inch of Kent and now I am selling the homes here, I couldn't be happier!
Kent State University (KSU) is the reason Kent is so desirable. As the University began growing, so did Kent! We saw buildings downtown get a new facelift, Acorn Alley was introduced, and more restaurants and bars began popping up left and right. If you're interesting in learning about the pros and cons of living in Kent Ohio, make sure you watch this video!
99% of the local population loves downtown Kent (we don't like the other 1%... jk jk). Kent is primarily a college town so you can expect the local demographics to be a little younger, but I would say Kent has a great mix of younger and older people. I recently helped a gentleman buy a house in Kent near downtown because he wanted to be able to walk home drunk HAHA! How cool is that?!
There are tons of festivals every year in Kent drawing people from all over. If you're interested in checking out some of the events, click here. When it comes to bars, Kent has the biggest bar scene in the local area. I'd say the closest bar scene is in Akron Ohio. People from Ravenna, Stow, Cuyahoga falls, Streetsboro, etc all come to Kent to grab a drink with friends.
Making it debut back in 2009, Acorn Alley is an excellent addition to the city. As you can see, It's an alley that has local businesses and food that leads to a public park that has slides for the kids, swings, and even corn hole! One thing about downtown Kent is that it is extremely walkable. The downtown area can get pretty packed, this is because downtown Kent isn't very big, which is my only complaint.
Food in Kent
Im hungry just writing this! Kent has a ton of delicious restaurants. I could go on and on about different restaurants, but here are a few that I recommend visiting are listed below. But seriously, Kent has Italian, Mexican, Mediterranean, vegetation options, Sushi, and so much more!
Located right downtown, the Cuyahoga River is an Excellent place to go for a hike, fish, hang out at the park, or go kayaking down the river. If you're interested in a Vlog tour of the Cuyahoga River, make sure you watch the video below!
Kent State University
Founded in 1910, Kent State University is ranked among the top 100 national public universities according to U.S News & World Report’s Top Public Schools list. Kent State has more than 41,000 graduate and undergraduate students, including 3,000 international students - nearly a third of all international students come from from India. Kent state is found on the east side of town and almost connects to the downtown area. The university is the largest employer in the area and brings tons of visitors and students to the area which positively stimulates the local economy.
In the summer months and during school winter break, Kent becomes a ghost town. All the students go back home to their families and this is when locals run the town.
Living in Kent Ohio
Renting an apartment in Kent
I have to admit, renting in Kent is pretty expensive. This is because there is such a high demand for rentals since there are so many students in Kent looking for rentals. The average bedroom rent in a house is $450 a month. Yes, you're renting a bedroom in a house with usually 3 other roommates. If you want a really nice apartment close to campus or downtown, you're looking at a monthly rent of around $900 a month for a 1 bedroom.
Buying a house in Kent Ohio
If you're looking to buy a house in Kent Ohio, homes range from $75,000 up to $800,000. the average home price is $160,000 and if you're looking for a move in ready house between $120,000 - $200,000, just expect there to be multiple offers. The market here in Kent is very competitive. If you're interested in checking out Kent's most luxury neighborhoods, check out this video!
In Conclusion, Who is Kent Right For?
Kent is right for anyone who loves a city with a fun and energetic downtown. Even though Kent is small, there is always something to do! If you're looking to move to Kent or have questions about moving to the area, make sure you reach out to us so we can help you with the transition!
GET IN TOUCH
We'd love to hear from you